Cosmetic lip augmentation is a very popular procedure. Lips are one of the main focal points of the face. When we speak, attention is drawn to our mouths and a beautiful smile conveys so much positive energy. Lip fillers can be used to restore lost volume, reduce above lip lines create more symmetry, cover up scars and create a more attractive smile.
Dermal fillers such as Restylane, Juvederm and RHA are used in the lips. They are made of hyaluronic acid which is naturally found in the skin. It attracts water, keeping the skin looking dewy and plump. Once injected, they begin to integrate into the substance of the skin, attracting water molecules and hydrating the surrounding tissues.
What is Lip Filler used for?
Lip Fillers are used to create fuller, well defined, balanced and more symmetrical lips. Lip fillers can improve the appearance of your lips by adding
The effects typically last around a year. Touch ups are needed to maintain the shape.
Benefits of Lip Fillers
Once injected, the gel in the Lip Filler supports and shapes the tissues of the lips. The benefits of using Lip Fillers include:
- Improved Appearance: Lips are one of the focal points of the face. When we smile, they convey a sense of well-being and a positive attitude. Younger patients often get lip fillers to get the lips they always wanted and older patients want a restoration of the lips, which turn in and shrink as we age.
- Natural Looking Lip Fullness: Many people are afraid to get fillers because they see so many weird and unnatural results on social media and in their community. If you want elegant and subtle, Dr. Shternfeld is the physician for you. With extensive training and experience, she delivers natural looking results.
- Gradual Progression: Fillers can be given over a period of time to produce the optimum result. This option is particularly appealing to people who were born with thin lips and aren’t exactly sure how they will look when their lips are fuller. At Inner Glow AestheticsMD, we discuss with our patients all the options that are available to them during their initial consultation.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long do Lip Fillers last?
You’ll see results instantly, but about 20 percent of what you first see is swelling. The full effect of the filler is seen at four weeks, when swelling has subsided, and the filler has integrated into the skin. Fillers last for many years, but touch ups are usually needed every year.
2. Do Lip Fillers hurt?
The procedure is quick and relatively painless. Numbing cream is used. Some people feel a slight pinch with each injection, and your lips will probably feel tender afterward. The fillers used contain an anesthetic called lidocaine, which minimizes discomfort during injection.
3. Are Lip Fillers safe?
Hyaluronic acid fillers are FDA-approved and safe for injection. Millions have been done worldwide and severe complications from dermal fillers are uncommon.
4. What do I need to do before the procedure?
Avoid ibuprofen, alcohol, and aspirin to reduce risk of bruising. People with a history of cold sores need to take medication before and after to prevent a breakout. Taking arnica before & after fillers may help speed up healing. Ice may help reduce swelling.
5. What if I’m not happy with my results?
The good thing about hyaluronic acid fillers is they are reversible. Many patients come to Dr. Shternfeld from other locations, and they have fillers that are lumpy, migrated or look not quite right. Hyaluronidase is used to dissolve fillers.