Dry Eye Syndrome is a common condition and presents with uncomfortable, red, sore eyes or a foreign body sensation. Tearing is often also a symptom, as the eyes try to compensate. Contact lens wearers, postmenopausal women, people with rosacea and autoimmune conditions like hypothyroidism are at higher risk.
What causes Dry Eye?
- Dry Eye can be caused by a lack of the aqueous (watery) layer of the tears or by a lack of the oily layer of the tears (meibum).
- Dry eye can also be caused by inflammation either from the lack of tears themselves or by long term wear of contact lenses, ocular allergies, infections and certain systemic or ocular medication.
- Dry Eye can also develop after treatments such as LASER refractive surgery.
- Dry Eye is also linked to many autoimmune diseases such as Sjögrens syndrome and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Dry Eye has also been linked to changes in hormone levels and is thought to be more common as we get older.
- Dry Eye has also been linked to increased screen work
How we treat Dry Eye?
IPL treatments of the lower eyelid are effective to treat Dry Eye Syndrome caused by meibomian gland dysfunction. Heat from the IPL melts the hardened deposits in the glands, allowing them to work more effectively, creating better quality tear film. More comfortable eyes, better vision quality, less need for artificial tears and less sties are some of the benefits. A series of 3-5 treatments is recommended. Insurance does not cover IPL treatments.
Inner Glow AestheticsMD are specialists in treatment Dry Eyes and also general eye care. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and explore all options available.