IPL Photofacial is a noninvasive skin rejuvenation treatment that can restore your natural beauty with limited downtime.
Intense pulsed light (IPL) uses light energy to improve the color and texture of your skin. It repairs signs of skin damage, like brown age spots, broken vessels, as well as facial redness from acne scars and rosacea. After a series of treatments, fine lines and pores are diminished, the brown spots fade and redness diminishes.
Consistent treatment with IPL over the years can result in younger looking skin because IPL treatments can stimulate collagen production.
A series of 3 or more treatments is recommended for best results and can be done on the face, neck, chest, hands and forearms.
What does a Photofacial/Intense Pulsed Light treatment involve?
After removal of makeup, the face is cleaned and cool gel is applied. Goggles are worn to protect the eyes. The treatment does not require anesthesia and feels like a rubber band on the skin. Five to ten minutes are required to treat the entire face. After the IPL treatment is completed, sunscreen is applied. It is important to avoid sun tanning and suntan sprays for 3 weeks prior to treatment and 3 weeks after treatment. We recommend a series of 3 treatments, one month apart.
People with darker skin types, melasma or deep tans are not good candidates for IPL, as there is a risk of pigmentary disruption in skin of color. IPL is most popular in the fall and winter months – great treatment to undo summer skin damage.
Who would benefit from an IPL Photofacial treatment?
People with blotchy, sun-damaged uneven tone skin, or who have large pores, freckles, wrinkles, may benefit from an IPL Photofacial. In general, IPL works best for the following:
- Dark brown and light brown spots
- Rosacea (redness and flushing)
- Uneven skin tone
- Broken Veins
- Fine Lines and Wrinkles
- Active acne
- Pigmented lesions, such as freckles and age spots
- Sun damage
- Cherry angiomas
- Enlarged Pores
- Facial vessels (telangiectasias)
- Hair removal
- Other vascular lesions
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is there downtime associated with IPL Photofacial?
Immediately following treatment, you can expect to see redness, and it may feel like a slight sunburn in the treated area. Depending on the aggressiveness of your treatment, you may have swelling for a day or two. Pigmentation will turn darker and will slough off in 7-14 days. You may have bruises with vascular treatments.
What areas of my body can be treated?
All areas of the body can be treated. Long-term benefits of IPL Photofacial are appreciated on all areas of the body.
How many treatments will I need?
Dr. Shternfeld will personalize a treatment plan. Multiple sessions are performed every 2-6 weeks until the desired result has been achieved. Usually 3 to 4 treatments are required for full correction, although additional treatments especially for rosacea and vascular sun damage, may be required.
What aftercare do I need?
- You may be sensitive to sunlight and should apply sunscreen and other skin care products as directed by your provider.
- Bleaching creams: Bleaching or skin lightening creams or ointments are widely used worldwide either to attempt to remove localized dark patches (eg, melasma or post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation) or as a fashion trend aiming to reduce normal melanin in the skin.
- What do bleaching creams contain? A bleaching cream may contain a variety of ingredients. Some of these are more effective than others. In many areas, unregulated products are sold, often without listing their contents or they are labelled incorrectly. They may be safe but completely ineffective, or the chemicals may result in side effects and toxicity. The risks depend on which ingredient is being applied to the skin, in what concentration, over what area, and for how long it is used.
Inner Glow AestheticsMD are Dermal Fillers specialists in treatment frown lines, horizontal forehead lines & crow’s feet lines in adults. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and explore all options available. We look forward to refreshing your aesthetic!